While it’s true that studying at SIPA keeps a Seeple pretty busy, here are some places where we go for a study break or when the library closes and it’s time to let loose!
*SIPA is not affiliated with any of these establishments*
- Hungarian Pastry Shop – The Hungarian Pastry Shop is a neighborhood institution that has been serving the Columbia University community since the 1960s. It was even featured in a write up for the New York Times travel magazine. There is usually a line outside, but it moves fast. It is one of the best spots in the neighborhood for sweet treats, and offers tables where students can come and study or grab a coffee. Address: 1030 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10025
- Food Trucks – If you’re looking to grab a quick, cheap lunch, the food trucks are a great option. They are convenient, and you have a lot of different cuisines to choose from. Check out this post from Spoon university for some food truck highlights. Address: Broadway between 116th and 120th streetsAddress: 2911 Broadway New York, NY 10025
- Hex and Company – If board games are your jam, this is the place for you! This cafe offers food, coffee, and some draft beer options, plus a wide variety of board games. You can come here and challenge your friends to a game of Catan, Monopoly, or any of the many other games that they offer!
- Amity Hall – The Seeple’s most popular Happy Hour spot. If you are looking to grab a drink after class and catch up with friends, this is the place to be! They offer both food as well as a selection of drinks – wine, beer, cocktails. Address: 982 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10025; http://www.amityhalluptown.com
- Arts and Crafts – Another popular Happy Hour spot that is conveniently located one block from the International Affairs building. It is a cozy beer parlor with outdoor sidewalk space (when it’s sunny and you’re looking to get some vitamin D). If you walk by on a warm afternoon, you will often run into friends here having an after-class drink outside. They have a great selection of craft beer on tap, as well as wine and food. Address: 1135 Amsterdam Ave New York, NY 10025, www.artsandcraftsbarnyc.com
- Baylander – This bar is located a bit farther from campus on a Vietnam-era warship in the Hudson River. It is worth the walk for the river views and lively atmosphere. It is a casual favorite for group gatherings. They offer bar fare, beers, and cocktails. Address: 125th St West Harlem Piers, New York, NY 10027, www.baylander.nyc
If you’re a new student that is preparing to move to Morningside Heights, I know these will easily become some of your favorite spots! Welcome home and Cheers!